moneydowndrainUpdated: 5/3/2017

Have you been called from the phone number 2062045478 (206) 204-5478 ? It would have been a voice recording left by a female or voice, claiming to be an “officer” and affiliated with “United States Treasury” urging you to call 206-204-5478 to take action immediately before you are arrested or are jailed for a past IRS tax bill?

If so, it’s a SCAM! The phone number is from the middle east, and they have apparently a team of scammers calling U.S. phones claiming that the receiver has an “outstanding tax bill” with the federal government. This is a 2017 scam from the phone number 206-204-5478 where the person identifies themself as an Officer with the IRS, telling you that the IRS is suing you or has filed a lawsuit against you and that you need to pay them to take care of the bill, or else you will be arrested or a warrant will be issued for your arrest and you will be jailed.

They will:

  • They will identify themselves as “Officer XYZ” like “Officer Alina Parker,” etc.
  • They will ask you for your first name and last name to “find your account”
  • They will make up a fake case number to persuade you that a lawsuit has been filed against you
  • They will try to get you to give them a credit card number to “pay your bill”
  • They will try to threaten you that you are at risk of being jailed or serving jail time.

Don’t fall for it! Hang up on these scammers and do not give them any personal details about yourself.

This is a scam and the scammers are counting on conscientious people becoming worried about delinquent taxes and giving them credit card information or bank information over the phone.

What to Do?

You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.

Notifying Your Friends and Family

If you are concerned that your friends, family, elders, or loved ones might be at risk for being targeted, feel free to share this post.

Resources from the IRS: