A Los Angeles paparazzi / celebrity photography company Marvix Photographs has filed suit in the California central court for copyright infringement involving a photograph of a pregnant Beyonce Knowles four years ago. According to the suit filed, the Atlanta-based gossip website Sandrarose.com used these photos and Marvix received no compensation for them. Marvix licenses photos to many websites and they are seeking damages due to, what they believe is, unauthorized use of their copyrighted material.
The suit seeks compensatory damages as they contend Sandrarose.com profited from these pictures and they willfully infringed on their rights. The photos do show Beyonce looking away as if she is not aware of being filmed, and they include her husband and small child. Marvix is asking for statutory damages in addition to compensation and that could get them an additional $750,000. They have copyright registration numbers that were obtained within the ninety days of acquiring the photos so it would seem they have a strong case.
At present the true identity of all the principals of “Sandra Rose” are not known. The complaint does include one name at present – Sandra Rose Kendricks – a resident of the Atlanta area. The plaintiffs request when any other names of owners or officers are discovered that they be included in court documents going forward.
AXIS Legal Counsel offers representation to individual and business clients in numerous infringement, trademark, copyright, right of privacy, right of publicity, false advertising, unfair competition, and other similar types of disputes. For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you in connection with any right of publicity or false advertising matter, contact email@example.com or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation. AXIS Legal Counsel serves clients throughout Los Angeles and California. Please visit our Individual Privacy Rights Practice Area or Business & Corporate Privacy Practice Area for more information. Our Intellectual Property Rights Practice helps clients protect their ideas, inventions, and works of authorship from unlawful infringement. AXIS Legal Counsel offers aggressive representation to copyright, trademark, patent, and other intellectual property rights holders involved in infringement or intellectual property disputes, whether connected to the entertainment industry or technology sector. AXIS assists clients in applying for intellectual property protection as well as litigating disputes, including copyright litigation, copyright lawsuits, non-solicit agreements, non-competes, trade secrets, cyberlaw, intellectual property, and others. Axis’ managing attorney Rabeh M. A. Soofi is ranked as one of the “Top Women Lawyers of Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and counsels clients in need of a Los Angeles Intellectual Property Attorney for copyright and copyright disputes.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you in connection with any intellectual property dispute, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation. AXIS Legal Counsel serves clients throughout Los Angeles and California.
Top Intellectual Property FAQs
- Thinking of Hiring an Influencer to Help Promote Your Business or its Products and Services? Here’s What Your Influencer Agreement Should Look Like:
- Basics of Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Trade Secrets 101: Protecting Your Company’s Most Valuable Assets from Walking Out the Door
- Can a Business Play Spotify or Pandora at Work? Is it Legal?
- Thinking of Congratulating a Celebrity? Don’t….(and Save Yourself a Lawsuit)
- Top 5 Things All Small Business Owners Should Discuss with Their Lawyers
- Overview of Intellectual Property Protections for Business Products & Services
- Help! A New Competitor has Stolen our Company’s Name…How Do We Stop Them from Using the Same Name?
- Patent Primer for Startups and Businesses
- Patent, Trademark, Copyright – What Kind of Protection Does Your Startup Need?
Latest Intellectual Property Representations
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Victim of YouTube Copyright Infringement and Privacy Violation
- Axis Legal Counsel Secures Trademark Registration for Los Angeles Rock Band in Disputed Claim
- Victim of Abusive Publishing Contract Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Bring Legal Claims Against Publisher and Ghostwriter
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired to Represent Los Angeles Band in Music Trademark Entertainment Dispute
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired by Victim of Misappropriated Name, Likeness, and Image
- AXIS Represents Copyright Infringement Victim
Latest Intellectual Property Articles & Blog Posts
A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
Photo Credit: Corporate.kohls.com What you do when a major national department store engages [...]
Practical Steps in Protecting Valuable Trade Secrets from Unauthorized Disclosure and Access Trade secrets are [...]
“Imitation is the highest form of flattery,” so the saying goes – unless you are [...]
Can a business playing Spotify or Pandora at work get into trouble? Or is it [...]