If your business is owned by a single person, and does not have multiple owners or shareholders, do not fret – the majority of small businesses are single-owner businesses. Many single-owner businesses wonder whether they need to comply with the annual meeting, notice, and filing requirements. The answer is generally yes.
Complying with the annual requirements for single-owner businesses is especially important because it avoids the appearance that the entity is a “shell” company and that personal liability should be imposed on the individual owner.
Generally, the consequences of failing to comply with annual requirements can range from the following:
- Corporation or LLC can be subject to “piercing the corporate veil” for failing to adhere to the corporate formalities, meaning that the owners are vulnerable to personal liability
- Corporation or LLC can be suspended or otherwise penalized for not being in good standing with the State.
- The Secretary of State or Franchise Board can impose late fees, interest payments, penalties, and other monetary fines.
- The State can administratively dissolve the company for failing to comply with the legal requirements
Complying with the formalities does not need to be a headache. To get help for your company, drop us a line and we will be glad to help.
► MOBILE? Click HERE to Initiate Call Now
► ONLINE? Click HERE to Request Online
Top Business FAQs
- California Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy Sample Template
- California New Parent Leave Act 2018 Sample Policy Template, Rules, Overview and FAQs
- California 2018 Employee Handbook
- California Interview Questions – What Not to Ask
- Paid Sick Leave Los Angeles California 2018 | Rules, Overview and FAQs
- What the New Tax Bill Means for Small Businesses, Startups, LLCs, S Corps, and Sole Proprietors
- New California Employment Laws 2018
- California Liquor License Rules: Special Events, 1-Day Events, and Private Parties
- Multi-State Businesses: Which State’s Wage and Hour Laws Must be Followed?
- Could Your LLC Save on Taxes by Converting to an S Corp?
Latest Business Representations
- Technology Infrastructure Company Axis Legal Counsel for Business Operations Matter
- Los Angeles Technology Infrastructure Services Provider retains Axis Legal Counsel for Employment and Labor Guidance
- Technology Solutions Company Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Pursue Business Litigation Dispute
- Digital Media Services Startup Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- Technology Marketing Company Retains Axis Legal Counsel for Client Services Contract Transactions
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired in Accountant Malpractice Litigation
- Axis Hired by LA’s Leading Immersive Experience Entertainment Company
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Limited Partner against Wrongful Conduct of General Partner in Limited Partnership (LP) Dispute
- Los Angeles Internet Marketing Business Hires Axis Legal Counsel for Business Dispute Involving Services Contract
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Hires Axis Legal Counsel in Shareholder Dispute
Latest News from Around the Web
- Marijuana-Business Worker Beaten, Robbed Of $9K Proceeds
- California Life Sciences Association Applauds State Budget Proposal That Invests $30 Million in …
- The Latest: California may train ex-cons to fight fires
- California Editorial Rdp
- Louis Maull Co. to be sold; barbecue sauce saved
- 3 injured in robbery at San Bernardino business
- New York City sues Shell, ExxonMobil and other oil companies over climate change
- California Adds ‘Fresh’ Category for Cannabis Cultivation Tax
- Brown’s final budget plan proposes $132 billion in spending
- California, feds bump heads over CAFE standard changes
Startups | Business Disputes | Litigation | Charities | Non-Profits | Contracts and Transactions | Technology and Internet | Insurance Recovery | Intellectual Property | Privacy | Crisis Management | Los Angeles Business Lawyer | Los Angeles Startup Lawyer | Los Angeles Articles of Incorporation Lawyer | Los Angeles Business Contract Lawyer | Los Angeles Corporate Formation Lawyer | Los Angeles Contract Lawyer | Los Angeles Business Litigation Attorney | Los Angeles Small Business Lawyer | Los Angeles Corporate Lawyer | Los Angeles LLP Lawyer | Los Angeles LLC Lawyer | Los Angeles Partnership Lawyer | Los Angeles Non-Solicit Lawyer
Los Angeles Non-Compete Lawyer | Los Angeles Dog Cafe Lawyer | California Dog Cafe Attorney | Venture Capital Finance | Executive Compensation Agreement Attorney Los Angeles