Sterling Jewelers, the parent company of Kay Jewelers, and Jared the Galleria of Jewelry has been sued for massive gender discrimination and sexual harassment spanning nearly 15 years. According to the lawsuit, male employees consistently harassed and discriminated against female employees, who made complaints of verbal harassment, sexual assault, and rape.
The class action lawsuit could have as many as 44,000 female claimants. Among other allegations, the lawsuit also details widespread corporate mistreatment of female employees.
California law prohibits sexual harassment in the workplace. California laws for Fair Employment and Housing make it illegal for an employer to refuse to hire, employ, or select for a training program leading to employment, any person because of that person’s “race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation.”
There are two forms of sexual harassment claims in California: “Quid Pro Quo” harassment, in whichemployment or some aspect of employment requires the victim to receive unwanted sexual advances, or “Hostile Work Environment,” in which harassment is so pervasive that it alters the conditions of employment and creates an abusive work environment.
What Are Some Examples of Sexual Harassment?
- Derogatory comments or slurs
- Repeated romantic overtures, sexual comments, jokes, prying into personal affairs
- Repeated unwanted sexual advances
- Unwanted groping, touching, rubbing, brushing up, or similar actions
- Aggressive body contact, such as forced kissing, hugging, or fondling of private areas
- Comments offering sexual or romantic favors or activities
- Pressure to go to lunches, dinners, coffee-breaks, or dates
- Threats of physical violence
- Physical harassment, such as assault, or physical interference with movement or work
- Visual harassment, such as derogatory cartoons, drawings, or posters, lewd gestures, or leering.
Axis Legal Counsel is an employment law firm representing clients in numerous kinds of lawsuits and disputes involving some of the nation’s largest employers. Whether it is sexual harassment, other kinds of harassment, discrimination, medical/disability discrimination, retaliation, hostile work environment, wage/hour, workplace bullying, or other claims, Axis Legal Counsel is experienced in the field of employment and labor law and focused on providing high-quality legal service Axis’s managing attorney, Rabeh M. A. Soofi, is recognized as one of the “Top Women Lawyers in Southern California” by SuperLawyers, and is a Los Angeles Employment Attorney with experience representing numerous employees with a wide variety of employment claims.
* * *
For information on retaining Axis Legal Counsel for any employment matter, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation. Axis is a Los Angeles, California employment law firm serving employees all over Los Angeles and California.