Grooveshark, a music downloading service that was close to its tenth year of operation, has been shut down in a recent court action brought by large recording distributors. UMG, Sony Entertainment, and Warner Music Group, over copyright infringement claims. The settlement came after it appeared that the big record labels were seeking in excess of $700 million from Grooveshark to pay all the fines. These fines were based on $150,000 per song.
Groveshark has claimed it was similar to YouTube by having subscribers “share” their uploaded songs with others. The company then had ordered employees to upload songs and then they made them available for 99 cents. Some money went to record labels but the overall concept was seen as infringing by the big record labels. As part of the settlement of the court case, Grooveshark shut down its service and left a note to their users encouraging them to use other services like Spotify and Beats among others.
A California lawyer familiar with the laws in regards to streaming content and the protection of intellectual property needs to be consulted by anyone in creation of content that can be shared online or electronically. Intellectual property rights in these industries can be tricky, as the case above shows. If you have an idea or have created a song or video that needs intellectual property protection, contact AXIS Legal Counsel today.
AXIS Legal Counsel represents numerous types of entertainment clients across the country in entertainment negotiations, opportunities, deals, and disputes. Whether it is agents, managers, talent, musicians, artists, visual artists, producers, filmmakers, directors, photographers, actors/actresses, models, writers, authors, filmmakers, composers, television, singers, songwriters, publishers, or technical talent, AXIS Legal Counsel offers strong representation to all those within the entertainment industry. Rabeh M. A. Soofi, managing attorney of AXIS is ranked as one of the “Top Women Lawyers of Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and is a Los Angeles entertainment lawyer representing entertainment clients with numerous types of legal matters.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel for legal advice on any entertainment matter, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation about your legal issue, or visit our Entertainment Portal for more information. AXIS is a Los Angeles entertainment law firm representing clients with numerous types of entertainment matters and disputes.
Top Entertainment FAQs
- Basics of Non-Disclosure Agreements
- A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
- Top Legal Issues in Film Production Law
- Top 10 Must-Know Tips for Negotiating Your Publishing Agreement for Authors and Writers
- Top Legal Issues and Deal-Making Tips for Negotiating an Artist-Management Agreement for Musicians, Singers, Songwriters, Music Bands, Groups, and Recording Artists
- Business Tax Calculator – Sole Proprietorship vs C Corp vs S Corp vs LLC
- Tips on Protecting Fabric and Fashion Designs from Infringement
- Overview of Copyrighting a New Work of Authorship
- Top Tax Tips and Traps for Los Angeles Entertainment and Creative Professionals
- Top Entertainment Lawyers Los Angeles – Where to Look and How to Find One
Latest Entertainment Representations
- Major Record Label Artist Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- New Film Production Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- Axis Hired to Start New Independent Record Label
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Band Member in Freeze-Out/Squeeze-Out and Theft of Intellectual Property Assets by Bandmates in Music Group Dispute
- Axis Hired by Los Angeles Independent Record Label for Studio Producer Engagements
- Child Music Recording Artist Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Pursue Fraud and Intellectual Property Claims against Well-known Hollywood Producer
- Los Angeles Film Production Company Retains Axis Legal Counsel for Reality Television Project
- Axis Settles Labor Law Claims Between Band Guitarist and Rock/Punk Band Accused of Violating California Wage Laws
- Axis Hired in Film Financing Dispute Involving High Profile Investors
- Axis Hired by LA’s Leading Immersive Experience Entertainment Company
Latest Entertainment Blog Posts
Thinking of Hiring an Influencer to Help Promote Your Business or its Products and Services? Here’s What Your Influencer Agreement Should Look Like:
Hiring an influencer can be a very effective marketing strategy depending on your business. Getting [...]
A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
Photo Credit: Corporate.kohls.com What you do when a major national department store engages [...]
If you are an author or writer, and have been approached with a publishing agreement [...]
Top Legal Issues and Deal-Making Tips for Negotiating an Artist-Management Agreement for Musicians, Singers, Songwriters, Music Bands, Groups, and Recording Artists
Let’s face it – the music industry is one of the hardest to break into. [...]