Oculu, an online video hosting provider, has been involved with a trademark infringement lawsuit against Oculus, a company that has been purchased by Facebook for $2,000,000,000. A California federal court has hit the small firm with sanctions due to untimely filing of paperwork that was requested by the judge in their case. The paperwork was supposed to show the financial impact that the copyright infringement has caused. The larger company has accused Oculu for trivializing the discovery process by not complying with the judge’s request for these documents.
Oculu, a company in Aliso Viejo California has been suing the Irvine California firm Oculus for damage to its business reputation due to the similarity in their names. Oculu has stated that this infringement’s effect on its Google page rank is high on their list of problems caused by the larger firm. Oculus believes that these accusations are not correct as they sell totally different products. The documents that have been slow in coming are those that should support the smaller company’s claim. A judge reviewing their current financial status had led him to ask for a low amount of money for the sanctions ($1,500) in the proceeding. Oculu had said that $21,000 should be the amount required.
If your business or startup is facing an intellectual property or trademark dispute matter, you need to contact legal help right away. AXIS Legal Counsel represents individual and business clients in numerous infringement, trademark, copyright and other similar types of intellectual property matters. For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you in connection with an intellectual property matter, contact email@example.com or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation. AXIS Legal Counsel serves clients throughout Los Angeles and California. Our Intellectual Property Rights Practice helps clients protect their ideas, inventions, and works of authorship, to copyright, trademark, patent, and secure other intellectual property rights in products, goods, services, inventions, and works of authorship. Axis’ managing attorney Rabeh M. A. Soofi is ranked as one of the “Top Women Lawyers of Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and counsels clients in need of a Los Angeles Intellectual Property Attorney for trademarks, copyrights, and patent matters.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you in connection with any intellectual property matter, contact us at (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation. AXIS Legal Counsel serves clients throughout Los Angeles and California.
Top Intellectual Property FAQs
- Thinking of Hiring an Influencer to Help Promote Your Business or its Products and Services? Here’s What Your Influencer Agreement Should Look Like:
- Basics of Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Trade Secrets 101: Protecting Your Company’s Most Valuable Assets from Walking Out the Door
- Can a Business Play Spotify or Pandora at Work? Is it Legal?
- Thinking of Congratulating a Celebrity? Don’t….(and Save Yourself a Lawsuit)
- Top 5 Things All Small Business Owners Should Discuss with Their Lawyers
- Overview of Intellectual Property Protections for Business Products & Services
- Help! A New Competitor has Stolen our Company’s Name…How Do We Stop Them from Using the Same Name?
- Patent Primer for Startups and Businesses
- Patent, Trademark, Copyright – What Kind of Protection Does Your Startup Need?
Latest Intellectual Property Representations
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Victim of YouTube Copyright Infringement and Privacy Violation
- Axis Legal Counsel Secures Trademark Registration for Los Angeles Rock Band in Disputed Claim
- Victim of Abusive Publishing Contract Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Bring Legal Claims Against Publisher and Ghostwriter
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired to Represent Los Angeles Band in Music Trademark Entertainment Dispute
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired by Victim of Misappropriated Name, Likeness, and Image
- AXIS Represents Copyright Infringement Victim
Latest Intellectual Property Articles & Blog Posts
A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
Photo Credit: Corporate.kohls.com What you do when a major national department store engages [...]
Practical Steps in Protecting Valuable Trade Secrets from Unauthorized Disclosure and Access Trade secrets are [...]
“Imitation is the highest form of flattery,” so the saying goes – unless you are [...]
Can a business playing Spotify or Pandora at work get into trouble? Or is it [...]