The decision to incorporate in Delaware or California, or in another state, is going to largely depend on your business operations and what goods/products or services you intend to sell.
A Delaware formation may be best for companies that intend to manufacture products that are shipped nationwide, companies that have actual ground operations (real estate leases) in several states, companies that want the company-favorable provisions of Delaware, or investor-backed startups that want to stick to the norms of what other startups in the industry look like.
If a company is primarily located in California, with overwhelmingly California clients, customers, and operations, with offices and business operations only in California, then incorporating in Delaware can simply add a layer of expense and complexity that often isn’t necessary.
There are many factors that play into where a company should incorporate. If you are thinking about incorporating in Delaware, for more information on which is right for your company, check out our longer article on this topic here: http://axislegalca.com/why-incorporate-in-delaware-startup-business/
Related Stocks & Stock Issuance FAQs
- Do we need to issue paper stock certificates? Can electronic stock certificates be used?
- How many shares should my new corporation issue to stockholders?
- How many total shares should my new corporation authorize?
- Is it Necessary to Issue Member Units When Forming a LLP, LP or other type of Partnership?
- Is it Necessary to Issue Member Units When Forming an LLC?
- Is it Necessary to Issue Shares When Forming a Corporation?
Related Formation FAQs
- Does your Company Need to Obtain Foreign Qualification To Do Business in California?
- Business Tax Calculator – Sole Proprietorship vs C Corp vs S Corp vs LLC
- Can a Company Have Two Presidents?
- Should I Form an LLC or a Corp?
- What Does a Director on the Board of Directors Responsible for Doing?
- Is it necessary to have a corporate seal?
- What is an Indemnification Provision and should we have one?
- When should my company’s fiscal year end?
- Should I Incorporate in Delaware, California, Nevada, or Elsewhere?
- What is an EIN and Why Is It Necessary?
- Formation FAQs
- Stock Issuance FAQs
- Investment & Fundraising FAQs
- Intellectual Property FAQs
- Corporate Governance FAQs
- Employees & Labor FAQs
- Licensing & Permits FAQs
- Tax FAQs