The University of California at Berkeley has had its data system breached and this may have far reaching effects to students and their families. The system was compromised in December of 2014 and then again in February, 2015. The worst news is that it appears to have involved part of the system containing information such as student/family finances and social security numbers. The affected victims have apparently have been notified as required by California law. There haven’t been any reports of this leading to identity theft yet but sometimes that crime can go undetected for a while before the person or persons become aware of it.
A digital forensics firm has been analyzing the UC-Berkeley server that was identified as the port of entry for the cyber-attack. All the names of those possibly compromised were gleaned from this action and UC-Berkeley officials identified those affected. Security for any public school system in the state of California is becoming more important by the hour, as such institutions remain high on the target list for cyberattacks. Large institutions including banks, department stores, and Universities have all been subject to this kind of theft.
As a private citizen in these types of cases, a California attorney with experience in data breach and privacy case law must be consulted if you are the victim of a privacy breach or data disclosure without authorization. Poor management of a company’s cyber-security that can lead to identity theft or any other invasion of privacy can be considered negligent, and if you have suffered a breach of your privacy, you may be entitled to compensation for the violation of your rights.
California law protects victims of breaches of privacy and provides them with an avenue for recovery against perpetrators. The California Confidential Medical Information Act provides plaintiffs with a private right of action against medical providers that disclose their medical information without authorization. Victims of privacy violations involving medical records need to act quickly to preserve their rights by consulting with a HIPAA violation lawyer.
AXIS represents clients in numerous types of privacy violations, including HIPAA/medical information violations, violations by doctors, medical care providers, schools, and employers, violations of name, likeness, and image, right of publicity claims, online / internet privacy violations, and numerous others. Axis’ managing attorney Rabeh M. A. Soofi is recognized as one of the “Top Women Lawyers in Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and has extensive experience as a HIPAA violation / privacy lawyer serving clients throughout California.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you with respect to a privacy violation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation, or visit our Individual Privacy Rights Practice Area, or Individual Rights Portal for more information. AXIS is a Los Angeles, California privacy law firm assisting numerous kinds of clients with a wide array of privacy matters.
Top Privacy FAQs
- Before and After Plastic Surgery Photos Online Without Permission
- Unauthorized Disclosures of HIV Status: Overview of Legal Rights
- Help! My Medical Records were Disclosed Without Authorization
- Are You the Victim of a HIPAA Violation? Axis’s Guide to Your Rights.
Latest Privacy Representations
- Settlement Reached for Victim of Unauthorized Privacy Disclosure by California University Employer
- AXIS Legal Counsel Retained Against Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon for Privacy Violation Dispute
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired by Client for HIPAA Violation Against California University Surgeon
- AXIS Represents HIV Disclosure Victim
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired in Defamation and Privacy Dispute
- Victim of Massive Privacy Breach Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Assert Legal Claims
- AXIS Legal Counsel Hired by Victim of Misappropriated Name, Likeness, and Image
- AXIS Hired to Represent Employee in Employment and Privacy Claims
- AXIS Hired by Los Angeles Actresses in Connection with Right of Publicity and Unauthorized Use of Likeness and Image Claims
- Axis Represents Victim of Privacy Violation During Childbirth at Los Angeles Hospital
Latest Individual Rights Articles & Blog Posts
Updated: 5/3/2017 Have you been called from the phone number 2062045478 (206) 204-5478 ? It [...]
December 1, 2016 Deadline for Employers Nationwide: Pay Salaried Employees at least $47,476 or Start Paying Overtime
New Update to Fair Labor Standards Act Requires Employers to Pay Salaried Employees a Minimum [...]
New Regulations Require Minimum of $47,476 Paid to Salaried Employees by December 1, 2016 Does [...]
Everyone looks forward to getting paid for all your hard work on pay day, but [...]
Have you been called from the phone number 3602030164? It would have been a voice [...]
Attention Los Angeles Employees: The City of Los Angeles has enacted new requirements for Paid [...]