Hit song “Uptown Funk, written by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars among others, has recently had 5 more songwriters added to the song’s credit notes, indicating some concerns about copyright attribution. Some industry experts are speculating that the recent Pharrell Williams / Robin Thicke verdict may have some influence on the song’s writers and producers. In addition to a section of a song that embodies another tune “All Gold Everything,” the song apparently had similar passages to a 1979 hit “Oops, Upside Your Head” by the Gap Band. The five new writers were connected to that song in writing and production.
The “Blurred Lines” lawsuit has affected songwriters across California and the nation. Marvin Gaye’s children sued Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke for their use of a song by Marvin Gaye that was released many years ago. The verdict by the jury came under some criticism by some industry analysts who felt strict reading of the copyright law may have vindicated the accused entertainers. Avoiding this kind of problem by allowing the addition of the five new names will reduce the risk for Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson. Copyright infringement cases may be hard to prove but the safety of intellectual property is as important as that of real property.
Artists have to be careful with their created work and file the correct licenses and copyrights to protect them from the theft of their ideas. A California entertainment attorney has the knowledge and ability to make this happen for anyone creating a work of art whether it is a song, poem or screenplay, or other work.
AXIS Legal Counsel represents numerous types of entertainment clients across the country in entertainment negotiations, opportunities, deals, and disputes. Whether it is agents, managers, talent, musicians, artists, visual artists, producers, filmmakers, directors, photographers, actors/actresses, models, writers, authors, filmmakers, composers, television, singers, songwriters, publishers, or technical talent, AXIS Legal Counsel offers strong representation to all those within the entertainment industry. Rabeh M. A. Soofi, managing attorney of AXIS is ranked as one of the “Top Women Lawyers of Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and is a Los Angeles entertainment lawyer representing entertainment clients with numerous types of legal matters.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel for legal advice on any entertainment matter, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation about your legal issue, or visit our Entertainment Portal for more information. AXIS is a Los Angeles entertainment law firm representing clients with numerous types of entertainment matters and disputes.
Top Entertainment FAQs
- Basics of Non-Disclosure Agreements
- A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
- Top Legal Issues in Film Production Law
- Top 10 Must-Know Tips for Negotiating Your Publishing Agreement for Authors and Writers
- Top Legal Issues and Deal-Making Tips for Negotiating an Artist-Management Agreement for Musicians, Singers, Songwriters, Music Bands, Groups, and Recording Artists
- Business Tax Calculator – Sole Proprietorship vs C Corp vs S Corp vs LLC
- Tips on Protecting Fabric and Fashion Designs from Infringement
- Overview of Copyrighting a New Work of Authorship
- Top Tax Tips and Traps for Los Angeles Entertainment and Creative Professionals
- Top Entertainment Lawyers Los Angeles – Where to Look and How to Find One
Latest Entertainment Representations
- Major Record Label Artist Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- New Film Production Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- Axis Hired to Start New Independent Record Label
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Band Member in Freeze-Out/Squeeze-Out and Theft of Intellectual Property Assets by Bandmates in Music Group Dispute
- Axis Hired by Los Angeles Independent Record Label for Studio Producer Engagements
- Child Music Recording Artist Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Pursue Fraud and Intellectual Property Claims against Well-known Hollywood Producer
- Los Angeles Film Production Company Retains Axis Legal Counsel for Reality Television Project
- Axis Settles Labor Law Claims Between Band Guitarist and Rock/Punk Band Accused of Violating California Wage Laws
- Axis Hired in Film Financing Dispute Involving High Profile Investors
- Axis Hired by LA’s Leading Immersive Experience Entertainment Company
Latest Entertainment Blog Posts
Thinking of Hiring an Influencer to Help Promote Your Business or its Products and Services? Here’s What Your Influencer Agreement Should Look Like:
Hiring an influencer can be a very effective marketing strategy depending on your business. Getting [...]
A Major National Retailer Has Stolen Your Work, and You’ve Become a Victim of Copyright Infringement: What Do You Do Now?
Photo Credit: Corporate.kohls.com What you do when a major national department store engages [...]
If you are an author or writer, and have been approached with a publishing agreement [...]
Top Legal Issues and Deal-Making Tips for Negotiating an Artist-Management Agreement for Musicians, Singers, Songwriters, Music Bands, Groups, and Recording Artists
Let’s face it – the music industry is one of the hardest to break into. [...]