Many business owners or executives wonder what will happen if a corporation or LLC fails to comply with the annual requirements. Whether the business is run by a single owner or involves a number of officers, directors, and shareholders, complying with the annual requirements for businesses will not only keep the business in compliance with the law, but will avoid the appearance that the entity is a “shell” company and that personal liability should be imposed on the individual executives, officers, or shareholders.
Generally, the consequences of failing to comply with annual requirements can range from the following:
- Corporation or LLC can be subject to “piercing the corporate veil” for failing to adhere to the corporate formalities, meaning that the owners are vulnerable to personal liability
- Corporation or LLC can be suspended or otherwise penalized for not being in good standing with the State.
- The Secretary of State or Franchise Board can impose late fees, interest payments, penalties, and other monetary fines.
- The State can administratively dissolve the company for failing to comply with the legal requirements
Top Business FAQs
- California Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy Sample Template
- California New Parent Leave Act 2018 Sample Policy Template, Rules, Overview and FAQs
- California 2018 Employee Handbook
- California Interview Questions – What Not to Ask
- Paid Sick Leave Los Angeles California 2018 | Rules, Overview and FAQs
- What the New Tax Bill Means for Small Businesses, Startups, LLCs, S Corps, and Sole Proprietors
- New California Employment Laws 2018
- California Liquor License Rules: Special Events, 1-Day Events, and Private Parties
- Multi-State Businesses: Which State’s Wage and Hour Laws Must be Followed?
- Could Your LLC Save on Taxes by Converting to an S Corp?
Latest Business Representations
- Technology Infrastructure Company Axis Legal Counsel for Business Operations Matter
- Los Angeles Technology Infrastructure Services Provider retains Axis Legal Counsel for Employment and Labor Guidance
- Technology Solutions Company Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Pursue Business Litigation Dispute
- Digital Media Services Startup Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- Technology Marketing Company Retains Axis Legal Counsel for Client Services Contract Transactions
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired in Accountant Malpractice Litigation
- Axis Hired by LA’s Leading Immersive Experience Entertainment Company
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired by Limited Partner against Wrongful Conduct of General Partner in Limited Partnership (LP) Dispute
- Los Angeles Internet Marketing Business Hires Axis Legal Counsel for Business Dispute Involving Services Contract
- Los Angeles Tattoo Shop Hires Axis Legal Counsel in Shareholder Dispute