The Bumble Bee Tuna Company has been charged with three counts of violations that had resulted in the death of an employee in October of 2012. Jose Melina, a maintenance worker, was killed in an oven at their plant in Santa Fee Springs. Two managers have also been charged in the accident. The man was doing maintenance on the industrial oven and another worker loaded the oven up with twelve thousand pounds of tuna and started it up. The oven reaches 270 degrees. The co-worker had thought the man was in the bathroom.
The two managers are facing up to three years in jail and the tuna company faces a maximum fine of 1.5 million dollars. It is unusual for work related fatalities to bring charges such as this. ABC news reports that the Los Angeles District attorney has said her office has been investigating these types of incidents for the past few years looking for illegal practices that have led to deaths. The plant in question had been cited by the state before in relation to worker safety and their ovens. The fine was listed as $74,000.
The managers and the company are accused of willfully violating rules regarding the making of a safety plan and those that state any machinery being worked on should be shut off. The other charge is about violating rules in place for workers’ safety when they are working in confined spaces. The company claims no wrongdoing and has been appealing the $74,000 fine from the state.
Devastating losses to a family in a case involving safety hazards at work causing a wrongful death or injury can be addressed in court with help from a California personal injury attorney. This is an especially devastating loss but even those much less severe should be addressed and the person or persons who violate safety regulations on the job need to be held accountable.
AXIS Legal Counsel represents victims of numerous types of personal injury accidents and injuries, including car accidents, auto/vehicle accidents, bicycle accidents, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, trucks accidents, boating accidents, brain injuries, head injuries, burn injuries, school bus accidents, dog bite injuries, parasailing accidents, premises liability, slip-and-falls, products liability, trip and fall injuries, catastrophic injuries, wrongful death, gym/exercise accidents, and other personal injury accidents. AXIS handles personal injury accidents that have resulted in head injuries, traumatic concussions, fractures, facial fractures, facial trauma, and traumatic brain injuries. Axis’ managing attorney, Rabeh M. A. Soofi is recognized as a “Top Women Lawyer of Southern California” by SuperLawyers Rising Stars, and is a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer who represents victims of accident and injuries in numerous kinds of disputes.
For information on retaining AXIS Legal Counsel to represent you or a loved one with any accident or injury, contact email@example.com or call (213) 403-0130 for a confidential consultation, or visit our Accidents and Injuries Practice or Individual Rights portal. AXIS is a Los Angeles, California personal injury law firm that provides victims of accidents and injuries with aggressive representation to pursue the maximum extent of their rights.
More Accidents & Injury FAQs
- What is a Lien and How does a Lien in a Personal Injury Accident Work?
- Is it Possible to Get Treatment for an Accident without Health Insurance?
- What’s the #1 Mistake That Car Accident Victims Make?
- Statute of Limitations for Personal Injuries from Auto Accidents in California
- Do You Really Need a Personal Injury Attorney for an Accident?
- Client’s Guide to Finding and Selecting a Doctor
- Injuries at the Gym – What Equipment Causes 45% of Exercise Injuries?
- Summer Safety: Tips on “Injury-Proofing” Your Summer
Latest Accident/Injury Representations
- Victim of High Speed Auto Accident Hires Axis Legal Counsel to Pursue Personal Injury Claims
- Rear-End Auto Accident Victim Hires Axis Legal Counsel
- AXIS Retained for Bar Nightclub Security and Assault Dispute
- Axis Legal Counsel Hired for Multiple Car Pile-Up Personal Injury Auto Accident
- Rear-End Victims of Car Crash Hire AXIS Legal Counsel for Personal Injury and Property Damage Claims
- AXIS Files Lawsuit Involving 5 Freeway Collision
- Axis Hired in High Profile Personal Injury Dispute
- Vehicle Accident Victim Hires Axis to Pursue Legal Claims Against Negligent Driver
- Multi-Car Accident Victims Hire Axis
- Slip-and-Fall Accident Victim hires Axis Legal Counsel
Latest Accidents & Injury Blog Posts
If you don't have health insurance, getting medical treatment for an injury caused by someone [...]
If you are injured in an accident, it is critically important that you seek appropriate [...]
Sexual molestation is unlike most types of legal claims – on childhood victims, it can [...]
We’ve all been there – driving along to work, the grocery store, or taking the [...]
A woman in a Mercedes Benz that was involved in a two-car accident has died [...]